May 10, 2011

Everybody Knows, The World Is Full Of Stupid People

Dear Daddy,

In the two years you've been... in heaven, is what I tell my kids...

Well, my kid. You see, I don't have Mason anymore. I had him for a year, and he wasn't a perfect child but he was mine and I loved him. Well, he wasn't really "mine" but I love him just the same. Anyway, he was with me and now he's not.

Michael came home safe from Afghanistan with two grade-3 TBIs and more medals and awards than I wanted him to. He went to recruiter's school and got another meritorious promotion. He's not with me anymore either.

They left, Daddy. I waited and prayed and cried and was overjoyed when my family was whole again... And then they left. Michael decided I'm too different from him and that we shouldn't be together anymore. There's more too it then that, but that's the basic idea. Mary Beth came and got Mason, and they left.

Some days I'm grateful you're not here to see what has become of me. I know you weren't happy I left school to get married. I know you weren't happy I got married so young. And now I see why. But it's not all bad. I did get Josh out of the deal.

Oh Daddy, I'd give anything for you to be here to see him for just one day. He is a genius, a certified genius. He's going to cure cancer, he's going to write books, he's going to date supermodels with Ph D's and he's going to still want to sleep in my bed when he's 15. He's perfect, Daddy. But I'm glad you're not here to see me work at Dunkin Donuts because the man you didn't like in the first place got tired of me and my crap.

2 comments: